Thursday, May 19, 2005

Regional Theater is a Good Thing

Wednesday night we attended our second play of the year, JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBERG. It was a very serious drama, so hard to be riotously enthusiastic about it. But the cast was superb, the play thoughtful, and the sets made me want to come home and paint fabric. But the play was well enough performed that I didn't linger on that thought for long.

Before the play began, the theater director came out with his traditional yammer... history of the play, a trivia question that wins one person a pen. And the bestest announcement ever:

Next year is the 30th season of the WILLOWS theater. In that time, this group has presented over 150 different plays, including 7 world premieres, and 22 regional premieres. So, to celebrate next year, they are asking the patrons to vote for their greatest hits.

Unfortunately, we've only been members for the last 3 years. And even though some of those plays were fabulous, it's a bit too soon to see them again. So I'm going to have to just play it on instinct.

We get to pick one drama, 2 comedies and 3 musicals. This theater has a wonderful juvenile section, so I'll feel comfortable selecting plays which require strong children's roles (kids were in 4 of the 5 plays I saw last year).

I'm pretty sure that my drama will be TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD. Can you go wrong with this? I don't think so.

The comedies are challenge. Do I go with a classic like Taming of the Shrew? Arsenic and Old Lace? (that sounds like a winner)...

Then the musicals. I'm pretty sure I'll pick the original NunSense for one. But then something familiar like Music Man? Or an unknown? Annie Warbucks? (only if they get the Daddy Warbucks they had last winter...).

Oh, the decisions!! It's like having to pick one from column A, 2 from column B... at a really good Chinese restaurant when you want the whole menu.

This is going to be fun.

2 comments:

Sonji Hunt said...

You should try to find something contemporary...I have absolutely no suggestions, though. And you are right, you can't go wrong with "Arsenic and Old Lace". I'm a big fan of these old plays. I just get tired of seeing the same plays rotating year after year. Does that mean modern authors just stink when it comes to plays? I'm starting to think so. How sad.

Deb R said...

Oh, "Arsenic and Old Lace" for sure! I love that story.

As far as musicals, is "Mama Mia" one of the choices? I haven't seen it (yet..dammit) because every time it's come close enough something has happened to make me miss it, but my friends and family who HAVE seen it have just raved about it.