Friday, January 20, 2006

I'm giving up on my current read...

Ok, I'm about 1/2 way through The Reading Group. I still have to consult the "cheat sheet" at the beginning to remember the relationship of the different people. I can keep the story lines straight.. but I just don't give a damn. Not about the people, their challenges or how they change in the year that this novel covers.

So I'm giving up.

Unfortunately, I was going to make myself finish this book. So when I went online and reserved a couple books from the library, I asked them to make them available to me until the end of the month. So now I have to "fill time" waiting for the books that I thought I wouldn't need, and now I do.

What did I reserve??? The curious, I know are tapping on their screens waiting for that answer.

#1. TAKE BIG BITES. by Linda Ellerbee. This book has been on my "to read" list for a year. I feared if I waited much longer I'd forget to ask for it. So now is time!! Imagine a memoir part travel guide, part food guide.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4633449

I think a lot of us have memories of occasions where food is directly tied to the occurrence. I'd love to read about more of these and will actually try to write a couple in the few weeks. Before reading this books reminds me that I'm not a well-known journalist/writer.

#2. Storm Front, by Jim Butcher. This is the first book in a series that I have heard as "Harry Potter grown up.". The protagonist is Harry Dresden, a detective who is also a licensed wizard.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0451457811/102-4379888-7472957?v=glance&n=283155

Sounds harmless.

No comments: