Saturday, November 04, 2006

Saturday Socks

Saturdays have always been a day of running errands and doing chores. It still is. Rarely does a Saturday arise when I plan on doing something creative or fun. Just not in the cellular programming.

Today is no different. I have two big plan for this afternoon:

Watch the OSU Buckeyes beat Illinois.
Find my sock-knitting bag.

I have this nice drawstring bag I made from a large cloth napkin. In it I keep my "Basic Sock" directions, my size 1 long circular needles for Magic Looping socks, and whatever sock I'm knitting on. Yeah, so far I've only done one sock pattern. I am lame. But making these socks is almost to the point of muscle memory. I don't have to think about it much.

Haven't worked on a sock for months, and I'm not sure what happened to the bag. I want that set of needles and I want my basic directions. Why?? Why now? My good friend Jennifer gifted me with 2 skeins of Katia Mississippi 3 sock yarn (color 205 I think) and I want to knit myself some socks.

I had picked up some of this after Kathy (aka Grumperina) wrote about all the non-wool socks yarns available. Important information because me and wool?? Does not work. I knitted myself several pairs of wool socks which felt fine while working on them. My fingers did not itch. Didn't see too warm. Wear them, however?

Feet. Too. Hot. And. Itchy.

After several months of hoping that I'd outgrow my dislike of wool (after 54 years??) and my feet would recover their menopausally charged heat wave, I finally washed these pairs and gave them away. So getting the non-wool yarn was some kind of kharmic payback, wasn't it?

I know I can find a sock-knitting pattern online. I could even print out Grumperina's Jaywalker Socks Pattern and do them. I have shorter circulars so I could simply to the 2 sets of circular needles thing.

Ok. I hereby give myself one hour to find my sock-knitting kit. After that time, I will print out Grumperina's pattern, find my other needles and move on.

Edit: I found my bag. But I'm going to swatch the Jaywalker pattern and will probably do those anyway.

Tomorrow I report.

Check out my other blog: Deb's Daily Distractions

No comments: