Tuesday, June 05, 2007

BlogHer Now with More Action...



Ya'll know I that write about things hobby-related for BlogHer.org. I'm honored to be part of this group even though I mainly live in the quiet little hobby corner.

Anyway, today Lisa, Elisa and Jory... three of my personal heroines and the sweetest gals you'd every want to spend an afternoon with... announced the next step for BlogHer:

BLOGHER ACTS:

According to the announcement:

We're introducing BlogHers Act. And just like the BlogHer Conference is the conference the community built, we want BlogHers Act to take on a cause the community develops.

We're starting today: We have asked the incredible duo of Cooper Munroe and Emily McKhann, from the Been There Hurricane Clearinghouse Blog, to lead this effort for us, by helping us work together to identify both:

1. The global issue that the BlogHer community wants to support

2. A voter manifesto identifying the top issues that the community wants addressed during the American presidential election in 2008


I'm encouraging you to go over the BlogHer and let Cooper and Emily know what you think (and register your blog if you haven't already). Or leave a comment here and I'll pass your messages along.

For myself, I'm considering the following:

1. Global Warming and the Environment. This is one issue that we can benefit from grassroots activism. And if women can't work to protect Mother Earth for our own children and future generations.. who should?

2. Top voter issues for the 2008 election:

Health Care. The whole enchilada: prescription drug costs, universal health care, preventative care.

Protection of Retirement Benefits. Stop allowing companies to cancel retirement plans that employees have paid into for years. If they must, make sure that all management loses EVERYTHING they've been promised from the corporation first.

Environmental Issues. From freeing ourselves from the "corn cartel", to making it economically possible for consumers to "go green" to reducing greenhouse gases. Again the whole enchilada please.

One that I feel strongly about, but that won't make the list:
Infrastructure redevelopment (I see the threat of infrastructure collapse in the next 10-20 years as a major concern. Yet nobody is willing to completely rebuild our power structures, our water supply system, or our roads.)

Are you surprised that the Iraq War, the economy, terrorism didn't make the list? While these might be important issues to discuss, I really have little faith that much can be done to impact these issues.

And why am I excited about being part of this?

Britt Bravo shares this appropriate quote with us CEs:

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead.
And I added to the quote-fest with:
Before something happens in the world, it must happen in your mind. CS Lewis
So what do you think?

Check out my other blog: Deb's Daily Distractions where I wrote about green grocery bags, and Thursday will write my Tale of the Scale.. with good news!

No comments: