Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Recycled Geek Jewelry

If you're reading this, you use a computer. And odds are that you, like me, have a closet where you've stored broken computer pieces until you find the time to run them to a recycler.

You might want to rethink that move.

In articles that turn Geek into Chic (what? it does too rhyme!), you can use the keys from a now-defunct keyboard to make bracelets and necklaces.

DIY gives details. from Michele Beshen's program B.Original. In other articles, she uses a defunct USB port and internal computer pieces to make other jewelry pieces.

I like the take on this that Mixxtape riot shared with the cute earrings and bracelet she crafted at Craftster. She brilliantly used a heated pin to melt holes into the keys, rather than the drilling suggested at DIY. I like that gal!!

I'm curious to see how these feel and work on both skin and clothing. My instinct says they need something to fill the back, though neither artist mentions this. I wonder what would work?

Now if you'll excuse me I think I'll (accidently) pour some soft drink on a keyboard that's been giving me fits! Then you can all instantly know me at BlogHer07 by the stylin' necklace I wear!! What do you think? My name as a drop from a simple cord?
----------
This is one in a series of posts on "found object" and Recycling crafts. Coming up: recycling sweaters (both unknitting them and felting them), a review of a new book on making beautiful quilts from t-shirts, and soy wax batiking with found objects.

What other found/recycled art/craft would you like to see?
--------
When Debra isn't destroying computers for embellishments, she her life at Deb's Daily Distractions and all things arts and crafts at BlogHer. This is republish of a BlogHer article.


Check out my other blog: Deb's Daily Distractions

No comments: