Sunday, November 04, 2007

How to Turn Last Year's Old Navy Sweater Into This Winter's Felted Purse

(edited from a post at BlogHer)
Purse, done
Felted wool items are still HOT accessories this winter, and they are so much nicer to use when you've made them yourself. A visit to a local GoodWill when they were trying to reduce inventory, gave me a nice supply of wool Old Navy sweaters to felt. If you have a wool sweater that's not quite up to being worn this year, this project may be for you.

Let's turn these into cute felted purses you can happily use all winter!
OldNavy Stripe
I began with this striped sweater and two others. At home, I placed them in my washing machine, set the temperature to HOT and the length to fairly long. I want the heat to swell up these fibers and the agitation to knock the individual wool fibers together. This can also be done by hand in a sink. Use enough HOT water and dish detergent to let you work the pieces and massage the wool rigorously in it's bath. Rinse the items in cold water to encourage shrinking. Dry them in a hot dryer to pull the fibers together even more. I did this process two times to get nicely felted wool pieces. They were reduced in size by about 50%.

Then I cut the sleeves, hem and neck off this sweater. Following the existing seam lines, this was easy! I cut strips from one of the sleeves which will eventually become the straps for the purse. Having stripes running one direction and ribbing running the other insured regularly.

At this point I have a bunch of bits and pieces:
purse, pieces parts

I wanted to line this purse to give it a bit more body and make it easier to finish. So I laid the purse down over some plain white paper and traced just outside the edge of this purse. Here's where I prove that I am not a "great" sewer. I know that in this one-off instance, I can trace just outside the shape, use a 5/8" seam on the lining, fudge a bit in the next step and I'll end up with an adequate bag for me. If I were making several of these, or planning on selling these on Etsy? I'd draw my pattern first and cut both the lining and the felted wool material to the exact same sizes. I would insure a good fit. If you're making this as a present, take that extra step.
Purse,This be the Lining
Now I have to choose a lining fabric. I found four that were possibilities but finally decided upon the light print above with the grays and tans already in the sweater. A light lining gives me a chance to find things in the bottom of this bag, but a darker lining would hide any stains that might occur. The lining is cut from the quick-draw pattern piece and seamed together along the straight sides and the bottom. A good press, a gentle trimming of excess fabric from the corner and these two pieces are ready to join together.

Here's where it gets a little tricky. But just a little.

Take your sweater-bag right side facing out, and slip into the lining. Check that the right sides (lining and sweater) are facing each other. Line up the top and angled sides of the both. These should all be unfinished (unsewn) edges. Pin both pieces together at the side seams. Smooth and check your lining and bag to see that the edges match nicely. If they don't trim one piece or the other to match.

When you are happy with the way these two pieces fit, it's time to slide the straps in place. Take one of the two pieces cut from a sleeve (do make sure they are the same length... ) and place the edges along the top edge of the bag. Slide the strap down between the bag and lining making sure that it's not twisted. To make sure that the straps are caught in the seam, have the edges extend just a little beyond the edge of the bag and lining. Slip the lining back up in place and pin through all three pieces.
Purse, insert straps

Starting at a side seam, sew all around the top of the bag. Press these seams and trim them back to 1/4".

Did you notice that I haven't mentioned sewing up the bottom of your sweater yet? Here's why: Turn your purse right-side out through the bottom of the sweater bag. Push out all points and corners smoothing the edges between the sweater and lining as you go. I like to top-stitch the open part of the purse about 1/4" away from the seamline to give a nice finished edge and to strengthen this part of the bag. Then give the whole purse a final good press.

Did you notice that your straps came out perfect? Another option I've used is to completely finish the bag, then added purchsed straps from a big box craft/fabric store. I sewed these to the from the bag with an extra square of felted wool for support. This bag was made from a vest, so there was no option of using the sleeves as the straps.

Purse, alternate straps

Last, but not least, stitch the bottom of the sweater piece closed. I did this from the outside, making sure that I did not catch the lining in this seam. The felted material will roll itself into a tighter decorative edge as I use it.

Now throw your essentials in and head out to enjoy autumn goodness. If you choose to make this purse, please upload a photo and leave me a link in the comments. (or add the photo to my Flicker HandMade Bags group. I'm getting lonely there.

I also blog at: Deb's Daily Distractions and BlogHer on Mondays and Saturdays.

No comments: