Friday, January 04, 2008

Not complaining...

I ordered some of the ComplaintFreeWorld bracelets in December; and, as luck would have it, I received them on New Year's Eve. Putting my own on was an active resolution. The website makes this suggestion:

Begin to wear the bracelet, on either wrist.

When you catch yourself complaining, gossiping or criticizing (it’s ok, everyone does) move the bracelet to the other arm and begin again.

If you hear someone else who is wearing a bracelet complain, you may point out their need to switch the bracelet to the other arm; BUT if you’re going to do this, you must move your bracelet first!

Stay with it. It may take many months but when you reach 21 days you will find that your entire life is happier, more loving and more enjoyable.
Note: elsewhere they say that it takes most people up to 7 months to get 21 days on the same arm!

Let me tell ya, it's really easy to keep this bracelet on one arm when you rarely interact with people. I mean, if it only counts when I SAY it... Well, OK, I talk to myself occasionally. Still it's easier when you spend a lot of time alone. I'm adjusting the rules for me to add one BIG difference: when I think (instead of just say) something negative about myself, I'm switching the bracelet, too. 'Cause that negative talk has got to stop!

Today I spent a couple hours with friends visiting. I think I switched my bracelet more times in 2 hours than I did all this week! "Comfortable" conversational styles are definitely going to be challenged over the next few months.

I ordered a bunch of these and will be offering them to all my friends as I see them. Sunday all my Monday evening Pickle-pals are getting together. I'll offer it to them. I'm thinking the ones who could use it the most are the ones who will most quickly decline the offer. (Ok.. that deserves a bracelet switch...)

I also blog at: Deb's Daily Distractions and BlogHer on Mondays and Saturdays.

No comments: