Monday, July 07, 2008

Cooking Simple

come cook

It happened again last night. I twittered my dinner (I often twitter what I've prepared for myself) and got the above reply.

Now, I am not a fancy cook.

I prepare fairly simple, plain fare with fresh ingredients.

The meal that got the response above? Trader Joe's (thawed) frozen scallops cooked in butter/olive oil with a squeeze of lemon juice at the end of the cooking. Heirloom tomatoes sliced along side. And a small amount of farfalle afterward to soak up the sauce.

A meal that took about 10 minutes to prepare and not much more time to plan.

Other meals that have gotten comments?
  • Irish oatmeal with strawberries.
  • Vegetables, coated with olive oil, grilled, then splashed with balsamic vinegar.
  • A salad of mixed greens, 5 strawberries, deli turkey breast dressed with (guess now..) olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
  • Left over grilled veggies warmed in chicken stock and coconut milk and served over brown rice.
Nothing complicated. Nothing requiring me to consult with a cookbook. Nothing that took long to prepare.

Everything fresh and healthy, but simple still.

So I wonder, why do I get these comments? Is simple cooking so rare these days that simply reporting it is remarkable? Are my food combinations so unusual? Is that I cook at all, instead of relying on take out and dine in?

You tell me.

I also blog at: Weight for Deb and BlogHer on Mondays and Saturdays.

No comments: